Thursday, October 3, 2013

What is Aquaphor's big brother's name?.... Aqua-Five

Rebekah is done with the radiation part of her protocol.  She had 28 days where she would have to go and lay on a table in a mold half naked in a large room all by her self, it was only for a few minutes and she was being watched by cameras and the techs could talk to her but when your 4 ... oh heck, I would be more then a little nervous in that situation. She did very well and stayed still so that she didn't have to be sedated like most of the kids who get radiation at her age. (she was only 1 of maybe 2 her age who had done it with out sedation and she was the only one who did it for all 28 visits). Yes, I can brag about that and I will. Her skin did get chard and it did split some and peeled a lot and we put a total of a pound and a half of Aquaphor over that period of time; which is when Rebekah came up with the joke that is the title of this post. She did need to be switched to a prescription ointment during the last week or so of treatment and we kept using that until her skin was healed up. Rebekah would go to chemo at least once a week right after radiation but on  2 of the weeks she went for 5 days. Good thing it was only a couple minutes away. Rebekah had shingles during the first week of radiation and a kidney infection during the 4th and ended up having to stay over night at the hospital near radiation. She was taken by van so she wouldn't miss her appointments on the days she had to spend at the hospital. Shawn and I have been continuing to ask the doctors to remove the stent she has in her left ureter as it puts her at risk of a kidney infection at anytime, but they are reluctant to do it.  On the last day I cried, weird I know, I will miss the techs I trusted with my daughter each morning. Chrissy, Meg, Adam and Ryan were so sweet with her they really were a huge part of why she was able to keep still. Dr. Poppe was so good about taking time to explain everything to me and showed me exactly where the radiation would be hitting and how much she was going to get and we talked about all the late effects we should be watching for as Rebekah grows. I am so grateful for the good care Rebekah got at Huntsman.

No comments:

Post a Comment